On Self-Care and The Creative Process
Do you run a small business, or have dreams to start one? Each week on The Tidbit, brought to you by Cureate, we discuss tidbits of knowledge around starting and running a small business with a food and beverage lens. Show host Kim Bryden sits down with guest experts and shares trending new topics on food, business and culture to help best prepare you for your business journey.
EPISODE 11: ON SELF-CARE AND THE CREATIVE PROCESS
A FEW QUOTES:
- “I just finished your latest podcast. It made me think about purpose driven businesses and purpose driven people. I suspect one attracts the other. I often struggled with how to awaken the non purpose driven person to see the value in the greater good. Is it just in our DNA or is there a way in?”
- It is absolutely no wonder we are all trying to figure out ourselves, our purpose, how to figure out this blend of personal and professional life. Our systems are set up for us to be cogs in the wheel, productivity - efficiency, to not question the system, to not add your own individual creativity and purpose to the equation. But that is changing. And as we head to break, I want you to mull on this: the next time you’re feeling like a failure, or that you just can’t get it together, that you don’t know how to be both productive and creative, remember: you are not a failure - it’s really our societal norms that are failing you.
- "The Creative Process - (1) This is Awesome; (2) This is Tricky; (3) This is Crap; (4) I am Crap; (5) This might be OK; (6) This is Awesome."
- You'll never know what care you need, until you know yourself.
- Factor in the cost of self-care into your menu [recipe costing].
- The high rate of imposter syndrome amongst people of color [...] there may not be a point of reference, or what that looks like, in order to achieve your dreams.
- The journey of entrepreneurship showed me a lot of situations, as to who I should surround myself with, who I should hire, etc. If you're working 9-to-5, these are things you may not come across each day. [Entrepreneurship] gives you a strong sense of community, of the world view.
- [Are they killing it? Or] are they just not paying their employees well?
- [If I am feeling stunted in my growth, I probably need to be repotted in a bigger pot]
- "How might we..."
- BLK MARKET started as a cooperative economics model. [...] Allows our makers to get in front of an audience they normally wouldn't have.
- As creatives, we create something that we've become beholden to.
- They are all a part of me, but they are not me.
- I am more than my creations.
- Pivoting for passion preservation... I also call it self propagation.
- Rahaf Harfoush
- Hustle and Float : Wired for Wonder 2016
- Adam Grant: The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers
- Cherry Bombe
- Little Pearl
- Aaron Silverman
- A Sweet History
- Milk Cult
- Coconut 5-Spice Ube Pie with Toasted Marshmallow
- Goucher College
- Design Thinking
- Allie Armitage - Soul Writing
- Krystal Mack
STAY IN THE KNOW
- Subscribe to The Tidbit newsletter: http://cureateconnect.com (link in footer)
- Follow our show notes here at http://cureate.co/blog
We featured three entrepreneurs and their projects to be granted the funds raised through this podcast. By donating, YOU will get to vote on which project receives the funds.
That’s right — YOU have the power to put your dollars straight into the local economy by funding these projects. Join us! Donate via our Patreon page or by sending any amount to Cureate with a note as to which small business should receive the funds.